Opportunity Land: Thinking Forward + Korea For a Year

By Cathy H - 1:20 AM

I recently came across this comic that I find very relevant to my life:





Until this summer, I've never been the community orientated or proactive time in developing long 
term "dreams" or "goals". When I heard these things, I never wanted to think about them too much because I just didn't want to perceive myself as failing and I didn't know how to reach success once I enter the real world. I feel like throughout school there's always people that are striving ahead and accomplish so much. They are the head starters and have that force in them. Myself, I'm the one always behind wondering how some people have achieved so much while I'm kind of just being...a potato. I mean, I sure have my accomplished moments but they are never consistent because I never get motivated for long periods of time. However, I am beginning to realize the value of thinking ahead and finding opportunities as well as seeking new opportunities. 

I think it all started one afternoon last month when I was looking at coop and volunteer positions, I came across the TALK (Teach and learn in korea) program and the deadline was May 11th, which was in 2 days. I looked through the 9 step requirement and it looked so daunting so I left it aside for a while. However, a few hours later after I kept thinking about it I could visualize myself doing this and  going through with the process. I knew I might be late in making the deadline and didn't even know if I could get the documents(recommendation letters, criminal check etc.) in due to it dependent on time and response from my references. I started doing my personal essay and submitted the required steps before the deadline followed by an interview request. At this point, I could see it working out and knew I should follow through to the end. It was really awkward for me to email my professors and ask them to give me a reference but I finally got what I needed. Somehow maybe it was fate or sheer luck, I got hold of the rest of required documents within a days time and completed the process within 2 days of the interview. I heard of many horror stories of the amount of time it took for these documents and was so surprised everything just went...so smoothly. During this process I was proud I never gave up and completed it till the end. I got a taste of what its like to go for something I want and the rewarding feeling of achieving it. If all goes well, I will head to Korea this August for a year of teaching and exploring. I have done my part and the rest is up to whatever mystical force is up there that helped me complete this application within such a short amount of time. 

After this, I went on a roll and applied to many other volunteer positions out of sheer interest. I found that I actually liked being busy and as a result I was swamped last month. My calendar was crazy but somehow I managed it all. Last week I was working for my university to help with convocation and seeing the graduates get their gowns made me a little anxious and jealous. They all seemed to be heading places and I just wanted that "spot" in the real world once I graduated too. I have a year left of school than on with my career. As the comic strip shows, it is never too late to start walking forward with your life goals. I have a good idea of what I want to accomplish and the career path I choose to take. Somehow I feel like I've made the transition to the person who was focused on partying, vacations and socializing to concentrating on the future. As the law of attraction states, you have to "ask,believe,receive" and I feel that I can already visualize what I want to achieve, so I am being given the opportunity to pursue my vision.

I believe I just have one month left in Canada before embarking on the plane to a new country where everything might happen...and I'm ready for it. When I'm back, I'll hopefully get more insight and enough motivation to continue pushing forward. After all, it's not about the destination but the journey. The opportunities are always there but depends on how badly you want it and how diligently you pursue them.  I guess what summarizes this post is that "if you don't ask the answer is always no." If you don't enrich your life or seek new chances you'll always be stuck where you are, in life you must always try and you will be rewarded sooner or later!

" STOP COMPARING WHERE YOU’RE AT WITH WHERE EVERYONE ELSE IS. IT DOESN’T MOVE YOU FARTHER AHEAD, IMPROVE YOUR SITUATION, OR HELP YOU FIND PEACE. IT JUST FEEDS YOUR SHAME, FUELS YOUR FEELINGS OF INADEQUACY, AND ULTIMATELY, IT KEEPS YOU STUCK. THE REALITY IS THAT THERE IS NO ONE CORRECT PATH IN LIFE. EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN UNIQUE JOURNEY. A PATH THAT’S RIGHT FOR SOMEONE ELSE WON’T NECESSARILY BE A PATH THAT’S RIGHT FOR YOU. AND THAT’S OKAY. YOUR JOURNEY ISN’T RIGHT OR WRONG, OR GOOD OR BAD. IT’S JUST DIFFERENT. YOUR LIFE ISN’T MEANT TO LOOK LIKE ANYONE ELSE’S BECAUSE YOU AREN’T LIKE ANYONE ELSE. YOU’RE A PERSON ALL YOUR OWN WITH A UNIQUE SET OF GOALS, OBSTACLES, DREAMS, AND NEEDS. SO STOP COMPARING, AND START LIVING. YOU MAY NOT HAVE ENDED UP WHERE YOU INTENDED TO GO. BUT TRUST, FOR ONCE, THAT YOU HAVE ENDED UP WHERE YOU NEEDED TO BE. TRUST THAT YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. TRUST THAT YOUR LIFE IS ENOUGH. TRUST THAT YOU ARE ENOUGH. "

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments