No Black and White: Only Human

10:37 PM


I've interacted with a extremely diverse group of people this year. I would say out of any other year, my experiences and human interactions with people have been one of the most interesting. I've worked with the mentally ill, those that committed multiple homicides, those 40 years my senior- rich and influential individuals, and one word that always comes to mind is compassion. I've never been a judgemental person, I always make sure to give everyone I meet a fair chance unless they were aggressive or overly narcissistic. These people have shared their fears, their accomplishments, their personal lives and private details with me. They have all made me grow in a different kind of way. Compassion is so important. This world is filled with divides and misunderstandings, misery and loneliness. We don't need any more of that. So maybe this year was to see for myself how tolerant and understanding I could be of others. 

I'm glad to have the chance to get to know and work with such a diverse range of people. I care about their wellbeing just as much as I do for my friends and myself. I don't want to see them struggle and imagine the insurmountable amount of hardship they had to overcome until this point makes me admire their resilience. I think what humanity fails to understand that everyone is born under different circumstances, experience different kinds of racial biases, socio-economic backgrounds, and environments. I would never think myself above anyone that's a decent human being. Why can't humans understand that we could've easily be in their place? That at the toss of the birthright lottery, any one of us could end up offenders, mentally ill etc. I also realized that everyone is incredibly lonely and vulnerable. Everyone's looking for someone to nod their heads and agree with them, just a nod of empathy. We are looking for even just a sliver of understanding from another human being. 

I see myself as an empath. People, strangers have always entrusted in me extremely personal details of their lives upon first meeting or after a few meetings. I feel honoured to gain this sense of rapport and trust. But from the bottom of my heart, I truly don't judge anything everyone has ever confided me in. I try to think of the steps that happened to lead them to be in this situation, to make them who they are today. Everyone has a story that deserves to be heard. I try to understand where everyone is coming from. I think if we all realized that there is no "good" or "bad" in humanity, we could start accomplishing a lot.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe